Tuesday, August 31, 2004

back to school blues

Woke up this morning with a back-to-school feel. The sun didn’t seem so bright, the air felt colder and I didn’t have time for breakfast. Yeah, I’ve only had a week off, but my body is still hard-wired to september-back-to-school-days-get-shorter-end-of-summer-fun syndrome. I don’t forget those 18 years of education easily. There’s also the fact that Amy is actually back to teaching tomorrow, so has been uttering “I don’t want to go to school” for at least a week.

Walking through town I’m hit by a wave of profound sadness. So much waste; wasted time, wasted effort, wasted lives. All these people scuttling about in their morning ritual, ready to kowtow to the dollar bill for another day. And me just the same. How do we go on, why do we go on? We’re all drowning in a world filling with shit and the only way through is with blinkers.

Two weeks ago I was putting up the ‘back to school’ signs. I swore I’d never be that person.

-

Just finished a new essay for monkeyinfez. Paul, here’s a link to the bit of my site it’s on so you can bypass all the pictures that upset your computer.

I’m also planning to get some new photo galleries up over the next week or two, so watch this space.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

Developing Paul's thoughts on diary blogs being interesting only if you know a person (but developing them in my own way), could we say that eventually blogs will be incorporated into online dating services? Just think, rather than finding out how tall and old people are, what they like doing and what they work as, a blog would enable people to read a variety of somebody's thoughts, thus giving prospective dates a better idea of what they were letting themselves in for. The blog would act as a much more useful screening filter, whether it were a work of pure fantasy, or an entirely dull account of day-to-day existence. Of course, the same could be said in the case of employers checking out shortlisted job candidates. Mind you, that might be a whole lot more treacherous, as it's normally best to be slightly more deceitful when trying to get a job.

2/9/04 5:56 pm  
Blogger paulhd said...

coincidentallly I planned to write some of my thoughts one blogging (and tried to last night but my poorly computer froze), you thoughts were similar to mine so it's not really worth it, but I can be as redundant as the next man. Anyway, nice article and thanks for the handy link.

2/9/04 6:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home