Wednesday, August 18, 2004

(the second) one from the archives

-
First timers (04/06/01)
-

A friend visits for the first time. It’s interesting showing them around because you notice all the little things you’ve stopped noticing. The postcard on the wall, the toy on the shelf, the picture in the corner….

These are the things that are so much a part of your life, the objects that tell your stories and memories, that you forget them as your brain itself forgets these events. So looked at that you no longer see them, no longer make a concerted effort to look.

But when someone comes around, someone who has never visited before, they do look around the place and actually see these things.
“Where’s this from?”
“Oh, that was what my girlfriend got me for my birthday last year.” Oh yeah, that’s really cool….
“What about this?”
“That’s when I went to California with my family.” Wow, I remember that. Had a great time….

So it is good. The memories come flooding back, the feelings, the sights, the sounds. I am happy to know that I’m not forgetting these things just yet, and happy to enjoy the memories again. Equally my joy for the objects themselves is refreshed, I remember what a nice postcard that is, how much I like playing with that toy… brilliant.

I should get people round more often…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home