Thursday, October 21, 2004

cinema time

We couldn’t be bothered to go to the cinema yesterday, even though I quite fancied it. Instead I got home from work to find Amy had brought the cinema to me. No smoking signs, hotdogs from a tin, popcorn, a ridiculously big drink (courtesy of my Seven Eleven 1.5 litre mug I got in Canada): all present and correct. What a treat!

We watched Resident Evil which, despite being fairly badly directed for the most part (Paul, I see what you mean about Paul W.S. Anderson and his muddy vision), was fairly entertaining. Once again I can only put this down to my innate love of sci-fi horror, I just like the idea of a great big underground, hi-tech haunted house and it brought back fond memories of playing Half-Life and System Shock (looking very much like the former and with a scary AI very much like the latter). There’s no good reason why a film should look like a game, and no good reason why I should like such badly directed action, but somehow it just worked for me. I’m never going to watch it again though, things can only get worse from here!

2 Comments:

Blogger paulhd said...

Hmmm, well I'm a huge horror fan (sci-fi films I'm pretty good on too) and have an unhealthy knowledge of the genre yet I still can't see the appeal of Resident Evil, I tend to like my horror films a bit more rough and ready and I'm a real fan of lowfi fx and gore. Anderson seems to be one of those new breed of slick and empty directors like Stephen Sommers and I just can't get into their stuff (although I confess that I do watch it but I think that's more to do with my inate desire to find things to complain about) Video games spoil it not because it's bad to use them as a source of inspiration but because the directors usually do a bad job of it and most of the games seem to be inspired by old horror films in the first place.
Good on Amy though, that's a cool treat to come home to.

22/10/04 12:01 am  
Blogger paul said...

Well, you're pretty much spot on there. The film was full of bad dialogue and cliched zombie plotlines... the only thing I can put it down to is the initial premise of the story and the fairly decent sets. I can see no other reason for my immersion into the thing from which my enjoyment stemmed. Right place, right time perhaps?

22/10/04 12:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home