Wednesday, May 17, 2006

the trouble with you

"The trouble with you is that you think you're too good for all the conventions of society.[...] You're immature. You've been unable to adjust to the idea of war."

"Yes, sir."

"You have a morbid aversion to dying. You probably resent the fact that you're at war and might get your head blown off any second."

"I more than resent it, sir. I'm absolutely incensed."

"You have deep-seated survival anxieties. And you don't like bigots, bullies, snobs or hypocrites. Subconciously there are many people you hate."

"Conciously, sir, conciously," Yossarian corrected in an effort to help. "I hate them conciously."

"You're antagonistic to the idea of being robbed, exploited, degraded, humiliated or decieved. Misery depresses you. Ignorance depresses you. Persecution depresses you. Violence depresses you. Slums depress you. Greed depresses you. Crime depresses you. Corruption depresses you. You know, it wouldn't surprise me if you're a manic depressive!"

"Yes, sir. Perhaps I am."

"Don't try to deny it."

"I'm not denying it, sir," said Yossarian, pleased with the miraculous rapport that finally existed between them. "I agree with all you've said."

"Then you admit you're crazy, do you?"

"Crazy?" Yossarian was shocked. "What are you talking about? Why am I crazy? You're the one who's crazy!"

- Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home