Friday, March 04, 2005

trust to luck

Very exciting day today. When I was on campus the other week checking out PhDs one of the staff mentioned, after seeing some of my interests, that he was interested in getting some web design done. I went to see him today, expecting him to outline a few pages about his research, give me some material to take home and chuck me a bit of cash for a couple of days work. But no, he has a big project planned (although those plans are still a little hazy), so he wants to hire me for 4 weeks! It's great, I'll actually be doing a job that's interesting and getting paid for the privilege. On top of that I'll get around to learning loads of web design stuff that I've been meaning to look at for a while (I've already brushed the dust off the php book that has been sat on my shelf for 3 years), and read about some interesting new physics - semiconductor spintronics if anyone else is interested. No doubt you'll all hear far too much more about this over the coming weeks...

I've also spent the last couple of days putting together and printing my dreamscapes stuff into an A5 booklet as a companion piece to morgue. I finished the master copy last night and took it to the copiers today. More of that on Monday when I pick them up.

And I've printed my I QUIT note for work to hand in tomorrow.

And I've even had a wash.

Blimey.

9 Comments:

Blogger paulhd said...

A very good day indeed. If you're handing in your notice I guess that means you found out that you can start your phd early. Good news.
Pretty nifty news about the web design stuff too. Hurrah!

5/3/05 12:04 pm  
Blogger Katy said...

Aaah, the heady sensation of handing in the I QUIT note!

See you at the big school.

5/3/05 12:30 pm  
Blogger paul said...

well, i still haven't had my official letter through about the phd, but my soon-to-be-supervisor insists all is (will be?) fine. plus they want the web design doing in april.

handed in my note yesterday, sadly jim wasn't in so i gave it to al. katy, i'm sorry to say i recieved the same response you had: you'll be back in 3 years...

is it some kind of curse?

6/3/05 7:41 pm  
Blogger paulhd said...

No, it's just that some people can't deal with the fact that there's other opportunities out there that they are incapable of seizing.

6/3/05 10:36 pm  
Blogger paulhd said...

No, it's just that some people can't deal with the fact that there's other opportunities out there that they are incapable of seizing.

6/3/05 10:36 pm  
Blogger paul said...

hey! i'm as incapable of seizing opportunity as the next man, i've just got a lower bordom threshold and a higher luck rating... sorry, been playing top trumps too much. it's true though, i have this thing were i just decide to 'do something different' and then i tend to just wait and see what turns up rather than pro-actively searching far and wide. it seems to work although Amy hates 'my jammy-ness'!

7/3/05 8:10 am  
Blogger paulhd said...

Well, my own changes (which probably aren't the kind of changes you'd want yourself) are due to luck as much as my recognising and seizing an opportunity, but so what? Luck is just like opportunity, you still need to recognise it and take a chance. The 'back in 3 years' comments tend to come from people who possibly feel a little bitter that they've not had the same luck or been willing to take a chance.
Anyway, both our strokes of luck will entail a fair bit of hard work so it's not like leading a charmed life!

7/3/05 12:52 pm  
Blogger paul said...

so what indeed... it has always worked for me! what does strike me is that if i actually tried to find a job thinking "right, i want to do some web design for a month..." i wouldn't know where to start nor how to market myself. admittedly the phd took slightly more effort on my part, but probably not as much as it should have thanks to my contacts at the uni.

you're right about those detractors though, luck or not at least i've decided to do something different!

8/3/05 7:51 am  
Blogger Katy said...

It's not a curse. It's an almost Homeric lack of originality.

Although the way my wordcount is going, I may be back under the hallowed golden W fairly soon.

There's incentive for me.

As for seizing, it took me three years before I got off my arse and went back for my MA and, subsequently, PhD. Waterstone's must pump in apathy like a gas...

8/3/05 7:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home